Three-quarters of Mr Fluffy homes in the ACT government’s buyback scheme have been demolished, while another 100 remediated blocks will soon be sold off.
As of last Friday, 764 homes affected by loose-fill asbestos have been knocked down, with another 164 to go before the end of the year.
Plotting Minister Mick Gentleman said all Fluffy homes in Charnwood, Duffy, Evatt, Fraser, Hawker, Kaleen, Lyneham, Latham and Reid are now gone.
About 90 per cent of affected houses in Chapman, Chifley, Curtin, Flynn, Garran, Giralang, Griffith, Holder, Hughes, Macgregor, Melba, Pearce, Spence, Waramanga and Weston have also been demolished.
“The ACT government remains committed to eradicating Fluffy asbestos from the Canberra community, and this latest demolition schedule shows that we are ahead of schedule in delivering a our commitment to address the Mr Fluffy issue in our city once and for all,” Mr Gentleman said.
Demolition was originally scheduled to wrap up in mid-2018.
While the current schedule says the mass demolitions are expected to wind up by the end of 2017, some complex demolitions may take place in 2018, pending the approval of development applications. It is also possible more homes will be surrendered.
In Belconnen, 231 homes have been demolished, with 26 to be knocked down in late 2017.
In Woden, 170 homes have been razed, 157 in Weston Creek, 76 in North Canberra, 61 in Tuggeranong and 41 in South Canberra. Five homes have also been knocked down out towards Hall.
Meanwhile 103 remediated blocks across Belconnen, the inner north, Woden Valley, Weston Creek and Tuggeranong were listed for sale last Friday.
Last year 153 blocks went under the hammer and 267 have gone to market so far this year.
Demolition activity is currently underway in more than 20 suburbs.
Let’s block ads! (Why?)