Some rooms at the luxury Langham Hotel in central Auckland have tested positive for asbestos and staff and guests were being kept away from the area on Friday.
Asbestos was found in a “small number of rooms” at the hotel, management said in a statement released to Stuff.
Tests of an area under construction at the hotel had found bonded asbestos within the textured ceilings of the rooms.
Hotel management said guests were not at risk and the area had been closed off.
* Asbestos checks start for quake-hurt property in Hurunui
* Patch up Headon Stadium or build a new sports complex for Matamata?
* Christchurch City Council to run asbestos pilot scheme
“We have conducted air monitoring testing and it has shown no air-borne contaminants.
“All other areas of the hotel continue to operate as normal.”
Asbestos is a construction material used up until the 1990s.
It is made up of small fibres that can have large consequences for human health if inhaled.
Worksafe says asbestos is New Zealand’s “number one killer in the workplace” and around 170 people die each year from asbestos-related diseases.
Ministry of Health guidelines say inhalation of asbestos can cause it to gather in the lungs and scar lung tissue.
Asbestos fibres are also carcinogenic and breathing them in can lead to cancers in the lung or intestine.
Let’s block ads! (Why?)